Ok, I love my Plex server. I’ve been using it almost daily since 2012. But there’s been one feature missing since I turned off my Windows Media Center server many years ago and that has been to subscribe and record shows that I follow. And when the Plex team announced DVR support in Plex I’ve been meaning to look into it.
As I’m using a satellite dish to get my channels I looked for an alternative way from the official supported devices and stumbled upon a Dreambox thread in one of the forums. Here is what I’ve done if it happens to be of interest to someone else.
- I bought a Dreambox 500HD S2 (satellite tuner) on eBay
- As it had the original firmware on it, I first needed to flash it with the “second stage loader” in order to be able to add a custom image on it. It is described at the bottom of this page: http://sources.dreamboxupdate.com/
- I needed to find a firmware that supported softcams as well as it supported the PlexDVR API and after a lot of Googling I found out that OpenATV should work great
- I downloaded and flashed OpenATV v6.1 from this site: http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.1/index.php?open=dm500hd
- Next step was to enable softcams and after many tries and reflashes, I managed to fine a way for it
- Download softcam-feed-universal_2.0_all.ipk
- Use FTP to upload it to /tmp (see note below – I’ve been using DCC)
- Do NOT use the automated install through the Plugin Manager – Open a Terminal window (DCC)
- Run the command: “opkg install /tmp/softcam-feed-universal_2.0_all.ipk”
- Now, press the blue remote button and navigate to install plugins and softcams should be listed as an option. If it doesn’t exit all the menus and try again.
- I installed CCcam 2.3 and started the softcam under the Softcam Panel
- Using FTP goto /usr/keys to find a template to be used for the softcam. Modify it according to your specs and save it as CCcam.cfg in the same directory. I also updated the attributes to 755 (I don’t know if that is required)
- NOW – it is time to install the PlexDVR API plugin. Note that the plugin has recently been renamed to HR-Tuner Proxy
- Post installation follow the guide as described here: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?56936-PlexDVR-Setup
- It works great for recording shows or movies and the new content will be stored into my existing libraries. LiveTV is not working perfectly – sometimes it works and some times not – but recording of shows has not failed once.
- I’ve been using Dreambox Control Center for Enigma2 (DCC) to upload and run commands on my Dreambox device: https://www.bernyr.de/dcce2/
- Post setup I had issues with teletext flashing when watching LiveTV through Plex. This was easily resolved by changing the Plex server default subtitles settings from “Always on” to “Manual”
- I’m still struggling with getting the correct DVB substream with the correct subtitles saved in the file when doing a recording. Really annoying.